All-State Jazz Auditions
- Play the updated scales in succession, in
a single continuous take, at the articulation and tempo indicated.
the MMEA All-State jazz etude.
- Perform improvisation as listed below.
- For all instruments except drum set, perform improvisation with Blues in Bb or Blues in F. Improvisation tracks generously provided by McNally Smith College of Music.
- For drumset, the student improvises without the CD background. The student will play a 1-2 minute solo, including swing, funk, rock, and Latin with the emphasis on swing. Transitions should be seamless and include appropriate fill.
- For all instruments except drum set: Student may listen to one chorus before beginning.
- Suggested length of improvisation:
- Wind/Brass: 4-5 choruses of soloing
- Piano/Guitar/Vibes: split evenly between comping and soloing.
- Bass: split evenly between bass line and soloing.
teachers must be in the room when the recording is made. All students
and sponsoring teachers are responsible for adhering to the MMEA digital
ethics policy. The policy is available for download here, and on the All-State Auditions main page.
Eligibility requirements are on the All-State Policies page. Read details on music ensemble participation.