All-State Jazz Auditions
The 2017 Audition fee is $20, the deadline is March 15, 2017.
See the OpusEvent How-To Guide for information on submitting auditions.
- Play the updated scales in succession, in
a single continuous take, at the articulation and tempo indicated.
the MMEA All-State jazz etude.
- Perform improvisation as listed below.
- Improvisation tracks generously provided by McNally Smith College of Music.
- On the McNally Smith College of Music site, use either tracks in F or Bb.
- For all instruments: Student may listen to one chorus before beginning.
- Suggested length of improvisation:
- Wind/Brass: 4-5 Choruses of soloing
- Piano/Guitar/Vibes: split evening between comping and soling.
- Bass: split evenly between bass line and soloing.
All-State Auditions Task Force is considering adding a second improv in Latin style beginning 2018.
teachers must be in the room when the recording is made. All students
and sponsoring teachers are responsible for adhering to the MMEA digital
ethics policy. The policy is available for download here, and on the All-State Auditions main page.
Updated eligibility requirements are on the All-State Policies page. Read details on music ensemble participation. Other requirements remain the same.