All-State Vocal Auditions
Changes in 2014
Beginning 2014, All-State auditions will be recorded by the sponsoring teacher and uploaded to our auditions management system. Audition elements are listed below. The digital ethics policy is on the All-State auditions main page.
Details on auditions management software system to be posted in December.
MacPhail Center for Music has generously provided a voice tutorial that can apply to all voice types.
Vocal All-State Audition Components
1. Sing an accompanied solo selection that highlights your voice quality and ability.
· Selection must be limited to an arts song or aria.
· Selection MAY NOT be Alma del Core.
· The art song chosen should aid the singer in demonstrating fundamentally good singing technique, proper choral tone, musicianship, as well as showcase the range of the section being auditioned for. Judges are looking for a healthy, free tone that will blend with other singers.
2. Sing Alma del Core at a moderate tempo, UNACCOMPANIED, in the key corresponding with the student’s voice type.
Keys for Alma del Core performance are: Soprano 1 - A; Soprano 2, G; Alto 1, Eb; Alto 2, Bb; Tenor 1, A; Tenor 2, G; Bass 1/Baritone, C; Bass 2, Ab.
3. Beginning on the indicated pitch, sing a major scale to your highest and lowest singable note (your highest and lowest note may be any pitch in the scale). The sponsoring teacher may play the tonic chord and then the tonic before the student begins singing. Use numbers, solfege, or a neutral syllable. Humming is not permitted.
Pause before beginning descending scale. The sponsoring teacher may play the tonic chord and then the tonic before the student begins singing. Use numbers, solfege, or a neutral syllable. Humming is not permitted.
· Soprano ascending and descending – begin on A4
· Alto ascending and descending – begin on F4
· Tenor ascending and descending – begin on F3
· Bass ascending and descending – begin on D3
Sponsoring teachers and students are responsible for adhering to the digital ethics policy.
The policy is attached below and is on the All-State auditions main page.